Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sharpy through round of 96




Jayke Sharp (Coffs Harbour, AUS) 23, who suffered a cut inside his ear during a free surf earlier in the week, showed no signs of his injury affecting his performance as he tore apart a peaky left with a combination of backhand snaps.

“I paddled out there and it had suddenly picked up over 3ft so at the start I didn’t know which one to go and I knew it was going to be hard. I got one little score and then that left came through and luckily I put it together so I am pretty happy. I came down here yesterday to watch it and it was pumping so I was hoping today would be the same but you can’t always have the best conditions but I’m stoked to get through.”

Sharpe continues to work on his overall seed for the remainder of the season and into the 2012 season. His lack of big results on the European leg is pushing the young Australian to find a result here at this all important PRIME event and the huge amount of points on offer.

“I haven’t done well the whole Europe leg. I keep having one good heat and then I have a bad next heat. So hopefully I can string together a few heat wins and maybe make the quarters or a semi. My self confidence needs a boost and to get through heats is the best way to improve your confidence.”

A first-call will be made at 7.30am for the resumption of Round Two Heat 5 of the ASP PRIME Billabong Azores Islands Pro.


Upcoming ASP PRIME Billabong Azores Islands Pro Round Two Matchups
Heat 5: Jesse Mendes (BRA), Gabriel Villaran (PER), Glen Hall (IRL), Jano Belo (BRA)
Heat 6: Leonardo Neves (BRA), Hodei Collazo (EUK), Jayke Sharp (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA)
Heat 7: Romain Cloitre (REU), Marlon Lipke (DEU), Brian Toth (PRI), Mark Occhilupo (AUS)
Heat 8: Brett Simpson (USA), Marco Polo (BRA), Tanner Gadauskas (USA), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)
Heat 9: Mitch Coleborn (AUS), Kolohe Andino (USA), Dion Atkinson (AUS), Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY)
Heat 10: Tim Boal (FRA), Kai Barger (HAW), Nat Young (USA), Travis Logie (ZAF)
Heat 11: Tonino Benson (HAW), Shaun Joubert (ZAF), Masatoshi Ohno (JPN), Pat Gudauskas (USA)
Heat 12: William Cardoso (BRA), C.J. Hobgood (USA), Tiago Camarao (BRA), Joan Duru (FRA)
WWW.ASPWORLDTOUR.COM

No comments: